Nutrition Labelling, Composition and Standards framework
The Framework covers:
- nutrition and health claims made on foods;
- the addition of vitamins, minerals, and certain other substances to foods;
- the composition and labelling of food supplements;
- the composition and labelling of food intended for infants and young children, food for special medical purposes, and total diet replacement for weight control (“Foods for Specific Groups”) and
- the mandatory nutrition declaration (food labelling), including additional forms of expression and presentation.
The framework was discussed in session 5 by the Health and Sport Committee.
The framework is still considered provisional. It has been approved by the UK Government and devolved administration JMC(EN) and Portfolio Ministers. It is undergoing final parliamentary scrutiny and development prior to final Ministerial clearance.